Swaddling! Great for most new babies, but not all. I’ve had both great, and not-so-great experiences with swaddling between my two babies. While it worked great for my second, it was just a mess with my first. But there were so many reasons to keep trying with the swaddling. The pros of swaddling benefit both mom and baby.
Benefits of Swaddling
Swaddling has the great benefit of recreating the feeling of being in the womb. This is thought to better help them transition from the womb into the world. Due to this, it’s often thought of as the best way to keep a newborn feeling warm and safe. For many centuries, this practice has been used all over the world to soothe and comfort babies. This can especially be the case for newborns who startle easily. In fact, all newborns have a startle reflex. With their limbs tucked in this newborn reflex can be better controlled with swaddling.
- simulates the feeling of being in the womb
- adds feelings of warmth and safety
- helps with newborn sleep and decreases newborn stress
- controls startle reflex
When might swaddling not work?
Some babies just don’t take to swaddling, but there may be some other reasons behind it.
- feeling too hot: higher temperatures can be caused by too much clothing underneath the swaddle, or a room that’s too warm. This discomfort can diminish the benefits of the swaddle.
- uncomfortable positioning: be cautious not to make the swaddle TOO tight, or too loose. Your baby should be on a flat surface in a crib or bassinette,
How to swaddle
There are a few different ways to swaddle a newborn baby. To keep it simple, the basic concept is to wrap them in a blanket so that their arms and legs are confined.
Once you’ve checked to make sure that the baby is comfortable, and not too hot, you can begin to swaddle them.
- Start by folding the blanket in half, and place the baby in the center of the blanket with their head slightly elevated.
- Then, take one side of the blanket and fold it over the baby’s chest, tucking it underneath their body.
- Next, bring the other side of the blanket up and fold it over their chest as well.
- Finally, use the remaining space to tuck the end of the blanket securely under the baby’s back or bottom.
Something to remember while completing these steps
- comfort is essential when it comes to wrapping your little one. So, ensure their arms and legs are wrapped snugly without being too tight or constricting.
- you can add to your little one’s feeling of comfort and safety with soothing touches, gentle rocking, or singing lullabies.
Types of swaddles
When it comes to swaddling your newborn, there are a variety of different products that can make the process easier.
Here are a few of our favorites:
- The Miracle Blanket: This is a popular swaddle option that is made from a lightweight and breathable fabric. It is designed to be easy to use, and it can accommodate babies of all sizes.
- The SwaddleMe: This product is designed to be adjustable so that it can grow with your baby. It is made from a lightweight and breathable fabric. It comes with a built-in harness that can be used to transition your baby into a sleep sack.
- Swaddle transition sacks: If you are looking to transition your baby out of the swaddle as they get older, there are transition sacks that can help make this process easier. These products are designed to help soothe and calm your baby while gently transitioning them out of the swaddle.
With the right tools and tips, it can be a great way to help keep your little one feeling snug, safe, and comfortable as they enter this exciting new phase of life. So if you’re looking for an easy and effective way to transition your newborn into the world, consider trying some swaddling techniques.
One has to be careful when swaddling a baby, especially when nearing the age of about 3-4 months. If not properly tied, the blanket or swaddle device be displaced with the baby’s movements. This poses a suffocation risk if the blanket were to end up on the baby’s face or around their neck.
To ‘wrap it up’
Swaddling a newborn baby can help them feel more comfortable and transition more easily from the womb. By wrapping them in a blanket and confining their arms and legs, it helps to recreate the snug environment. This can help them feel more relaxed and calm, making it easier to sleep. Whether using a baby blanket or swaddling device, the steps can be learned and used for both mom and baby’s benefit. If you’re looking for an easy way to make your newborn feel more at ease, consider swaddling as part of your post-birth care routine.